The Best Women’s Winter Coats to Wear This Season
Need to get your outerwear in order? We’ve got you covered (literally).
Let’s face it: When temps drop down, your jacket becomes the most important part of every outfit you wear. It’s the last thing you put on and the first thing everyone else sees — so in a perfect world, it should be both cute and functional. There’s no shortage of options for women’s winter coats, but how exactly do you pick the right one for you? We’re so glad you asked.
What to look for in the best women’s winter coat
There are a few important things to consider when looking for your go-to jacket. You want it to look good and keep you warm. You want it to fit you well and be spacious enough for thick under-layers. And most of all, you want it to last you the whole season (and beyond).
If warmth is your top priority — which, in Canadian winters, it probably should be — consider what your coat is made of. Well-insulated coats (either with down or synthetic fibres) are a saving grace for frigid temps. And while most puffer coats are already water-repellent, you’ll want to opt for something wind-repellent too if you’re really looking to dodge the cold.
But let’s say you’re not an outdoorsy person in the winter (same). In that case, you have a new set of qualities to consider. For a lightweight everyday option to keep on hand, you might want a packable jacket that you can bring with you. And if the extent of your outside activity is walking from your car to the door, you’ll likely be looking for a winter coat that actually complements your style without forcing you to freeze. It’s out there, trust.
The best women’s winter coats to buy right now
Uniqlo seamless down parka
What’s more enticing during gray days than a swollen zip-up jacket you can completely disappear into? Introducing: The puffiest of puffer coats. This beloved Uniqlo design is affordable and cozy, while still feeling like a cool statement.
Made with premium down, it’s high-performance and protects from wind and water. Plus, it’s available in five colours, whether you’re feeling a lavender look or a clean-cut off-white shade.
- Durable, water and wind resistant
- Offers extra warmth even in incredibly cold weather
- Covers the waist to keep you warm
- The fit is adjustable
- Available in a variety of lengths and colours, some with fleece-lined hoods
- Because it intentionally runs larger for a cozy fit, it’s not very packable
Max Mara Manuela coat
If you’re looking to wrap up in luxe outerwear, allow Max Mara’s iconic Manuela coat to be your garment of choice. The Italian brand has a knack for making instant classics that transcend seasonal trends, and when it comes to coats, that’s an important aspect to have.
With pure camel hair construction and lengthening silhouette, it strikes the balance between oversized and refined. With a strong lapel collar and structured shoulders, it adds an oomph of intentionality to weather-minded bundling.
- Available in two colours
- Cozy silhouette that is still polished
- Lined in satin to ensure it layers well over shirts and sweaters
- Not waterproof
- Dry-clean only
Teddy bear fleece lapel coat
This teddy bear coat gives such designer vibes, you wouldn’t even guess it starts at $93. Fuzzy and plush, its soft-to-the-touch texture is immediately warming and on-trend. A palatable dupe for this fan-favourite Max Mara piece, it gives a luxe oversized finish without bulking up your ensemble.
Made of polyester, it puts a softening spin on the classic lapel coat, with a two-button closure for added insulation. It’s hailed by reviewers for being warm and functional, but also dressy enough for a night out. We think it’s the best women’s coat of the season if you’re leaning into the teddy texture trend.
- Under $100 pricing for luxury quality
- Made with long arms for taller women
- Machine-wash ready
- Available in four colours
- It’s praised by reviewers for being heavier weight, but because of this, some say it’s not as comfortable for layering. Size up if you want to pair this with bulky sweaters.
Old Navy Long Hooded Puffer Jacket
This was the top-rated selection from our plus-size winter coats round up for a reason. With a sleek après-ski appeal, this size-inclusive jacket ticks the boxes of comfortable and cute. And because it hits just below the knee, it’s suitable for snow storms without feeling too excessive for everyday outings and long winter days.
Pssst: Check out our favourite plus-size winter coats. options here.
- 100% recycled polyester that traps body heat and distributes it evenly
- Full-body warmth
- Hidden zipper
- Machine washable
- Warm hand pockets
- Fixed hood
Dynamite tweed top coat
The perfect option for elevated outerwear, this herringbone tweed coat is suitable for both corporate settings and evening attire. With a peak lapel, double-breasted closure, and flap pockets, it exudes chic professionalism while still meeting the insulated mark. If you’re looking for a relaxed-fit going-out coat, this is the one for you.
- Runs large for a trendy boxy look and layer-friendly styling
- Inside button closure for a tailored fit
- One of our favourite jackets and coats to wear dressed up or down
- Dry clean only
Women’s hooded packable ultra light down jacket
The only weather you can actually guarantee during winter? The unpredictable kind. That’s why it’s crucial to have an on-the-go jacket on hand. This compressible down-filled puffer comes with a sturdy zipper closure and a padded windproof hood.
Designed with a subtle hourglass silhouette, it accentuates natural curves while still feeling plush. It’s wind and waterproof, and it bundles into a small ball to be carried in your computer bag or purse.
- RDS certified, meaning the down doesn’t come from animals that have been subjected to unnecessary harm
- Has inner and outer pockets
- Available in 16 colours
- Comes with a carry-along bag
- Lightweight insulated jacket that goes the extra mile in winter weather
- Some reviewers say they wish the hood and hem was cinch-able for added insulation
Women’s Faux Shearing Moto Jacket
If we’ve said it once, we’ve said it a million times: Shearling jackets are the coolest unsung heroes of winter weather. This piece (with over 800 glowing reviews) offers a hardened edge via its leather-like make and metal accents.
With a high-neck zipper closure and inside lined with faux suede, it keeps you warm on those days when the wind simply won’t quit. Plus, if you’re looking to get in on the moto-core trend that took over pop culture a few months back, here’s the way to do so.
- Trendy style for under $100
- Easy to style
- Higher, insulated neck
- Works with most price points and budgets
- Soft interior made of faux-shearling
- Dry clean only
Quilted hooded maxi coat
Angry winds are no match for this ankle-length coat. Filled with a soft-down alternative, this quilted garment keeps you cozy from head to toe (including a hood!). And with nine colours, it fits into any aesthetic taste. Just throw it on, zip it up, and voila — consider yourself protected from the elements.
- Suitable for machine wash
- Zipper side pockets and one inner pocket for added storage
- Ribbed cuff sleeves for added insulation
- Feels like wearing a sleeping bag
- Modest, affordable price tag
- Some reviews say it runs large, so size down if you don’t want an oversized fit
Frank and Oak Hygge puffer coat
As a leader in sustainable fashion, Canadian brand Frank and Oak uses innovation to propel a circularity-minded business model. This elevated puffer is no exception. Made of recycled materials and vegan insulation fibres, it’s breathable, functional, and gloriously oversized.
Fitting like a hooded XL shawl, it’s great for those days when you want to nestle into your coat — while still looking chic.
- Designed to keep you warm from temperatures down to -25ºC (-13ºF)
- Machine washable
- Water and wind-resistant
- Available in three colours
- Because it’s so puffy, it won’t be as compressible and easy to pack
Best for extreme cold
Arc’Teryx Patera long parka
Waterproof, snowproof, and wind-stormproof, this coat by Canadian brand Arc’Teryx is the key for outdoorsy winter activities. With 750 fill RDS-certified goose down, it’s like wearing a snuggly duvet. And with gaskets at the cuffs and necks to keep wind out, reviewers love that it not only keeps the chest warm but also the arms and legs.
Thanks to its intentionally roomier fit, it’s meant to be layered with your coziest sweaters and winter garments.
- Gore-Tex protection works to ensure waterproof and windproof wearability
- Outer material resists stains
- Adjustable structured hood keeps your face safe from rain and snow
- Excellent water resistance
- Added synthetic insulation
- Ideal for far-below-freezing temperatures
- Machine washable
- No interior pockets
This article contains affiliate links, so we may earn a small commission when you make a purchase through links on our site at no additional cost to you.