The skinny from last night’s CFDA Awards in 6 points or less
Though the annual CFDA Awards are meant to honour top-tier American designers, there’s no debate over who was the focus of last night’s ceremony. Everyone was Gaga for the Lady, with all eyes on her green wig, sky-high boots and custom Mugler spiked thong. Honoured with the night’s Fashion Icon Award (past recipients include Kate Moss, Iman and Nicole Kidman), Gaga turned fire (the good kind) on the night with her lighthearted antics and her unabashed speech. Upon her acceptance, Gaga shared that when she got news of her award from Anna Wintour, she confused the editor in chief of Vogue with a friend and responded with a “Yes, bitch. We did it!”
Want the rest of the details? Get the skinny on last night’s event in six points or less!
1. Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez, the unstoppable (and ultra-adorable) duo behind Proenza Schouler, received their second award for Womenswear Designer of the Year. Liv Tyler rocked one of the label’s richly colored sheaths from the Fall 2011 collection.
2. Alexander Wang, whose studded Diego bucket bag has been sported by It girls worldwide, received a nod for Accessory Designer of the Year.
3. Kanye West presented—sans interruption, we might add—Céline designer, Phoebe Philo, with the award for International Designer of the Year. Though he recently chose to don a caftan from the spring womenswear collection to Coachella, last night the rapper opted for a classic white blazer and jeans.
4. Red-carpet star Prabal Gurung (worn by the likes of Demi Moore, Zoe Saldana and Hailee Steinfeld) got the attention usually reserved for the starlets he dresses as he received the Swarovski Award for Womenswear.
5. Everyone’s favourite fashion light beam, The Telegraph’s Hilary Alexander was honored with the Eugenia Sheppard Media Award.
6. Marc Jacobs received one of the biggest honours of the night: Sofia Coppola, wearing a simple white dress by the designer, presented him with a Lifetime Achievement Award. The standing ovation that met Jacobs proved that even with Gaga in the house, the CFDAs are all about the design love.