Here’s How You Should Wash and Store Your Leather Pieces
...to make them last.
While leather is undoubtedly sleek and timeless – not to mention extremely versatile when it comes to the types of garments it can bring to life (bags, shoes, coats, pants, etc.) –it is also something that will only last if it is given proper care. But there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. Leather shoes deal with a myriad of different environments than that of your favourite handbag. And then what about the inside of your bag? We turned to some experts to learn how to best clean leather to ensure its long lifespan.
How to clean/wash it:
1. Use a slightly dampened clean cloth and softly wipe away marks. If that doesn’t remove the stain, invest in a good quality leather cleaner and protector.
2. Remember to do a test patch on a hidden area of the bag first.
3. Always air dry naturally.
– Karl Kowalewski, vice-president of Roots leather factory
Use a lint roller or a vacuum with a small brush attachment to remove lint from inside the bag.
How to store it:
Store leather bags in dust bags and away from sunlight when not in use. Be sure not to hang them from the handles to avoid extra stretching and wear.
Clean salt stains off leather shoes by spraying a solution of white vinegar and water. Buff off with a cloth.
– Melissa Maker, YouTuber of Clean My Space