Great Scott! Our 5 favourite moments from the over-the-top Great Gatsby trailer
Both film and fashion enthusiasts have been waiting with bated breath for the release of The Great Gatsby, Baz Luhrmann’s latest creation, and last night the first trailer was released. Though we’ll have to wait until Christmas to actually see the movie, the virtual world was atwitter after the release, and we’ve got five reasons why.
1. The Roaring Twenties have never looked this good (or at least since the last Gatsby film). Carey Mulligan as Daisy is pitch-perfect in a wardrobe of luxe furs, slinky flapper dresses and sparkling headpieces that look as if they could be made for no one else. Designed by Luhrmann’s wife and frequent collaborator, Catherine Martin, the costumes are sure to thrill.
2. One of Baz Luhrmann’s trademarks is incorporating offbeat musical choices into his films, and his latest is no exception. We love the contrast between the thick beats of Jay-Z and Kanye West’s “No Church in the Wild” set against a scene of partygoers in ’20s East Egg as the opening track to the trailer.
3. If there’s one thing that Baz Luhrmann can do no like other director out there, it’s creating party scenes that are like psychedelic visual explosions. If the trailer is already chock full of them, we can only imagine how many more effervescent dance numbers and shindigs there will be in the movie itself.
4. Recreating the opulence and extravagance of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s fictional world is definitely no small feat, but from what we can see in the trailer, it’s been executed to perfection. From carpet-like lawns to teal art deco pools, the entire trailer so far is aesthetic bliss.
5. Can we talk about the The Eyes of Dr. T. J. Eckleburg for a sec? The freakish way in which the godly plot theme thrashes through the trailer are reason enough to keep begging for more.