Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Be Surprised that Camila Cabello Left Fifth Harmony
Fifth Harmony fans had a rude awakening this Monday when they heard via the group’s Twitter that a critical member of the band, Camila Cabello, would be quitting. Here’s what they tweeted:
— Fifth Harmony (@FifthHarmony) December 19, 2016
The band swiftly unfollowed Camila after the announcement was made. This tells us that it was not an amicable split (and we do wonder how the band’s name will live on with only four members, #FourthHarmony).
But you shouldn’t be surprised, and here’s why:
1. Cabello has already been pursuing her career apart from Fifth Harmony, with “Bad Things,” a collab with Machine Gun Kelly (below), and “Power in Me,” in which she stars alongside producer Benny Blanco and OMG Everywhere, a nonprofit that gives kids free art workshops. And, of course, she sang with Shawn Mendes in “I Know What You Did Last Summer.”
2. According to The Sun, after the group took home two awards at the Much Music Video Music Awards in June 2016, Cabello’s manager was called out via Twitter by Lauren Juaregui’s mother. Cabello had also received two awards for her single with Shawn Mendes, and when her manager implied that the singer had won a total of four awards on Twitter, Juaregui’s mom went nuts on the social media platform.
3. Back in 2015, a source told Hollywood Life that Taylor Swift had been trying to convince Cabello to go solo.
4. Fans were left in the dark again back in July 2016, when the band took to Snapchat to document scenes from a Fourth of July party they were at, while Cabello shared a clip of a laptop, with text reading “my lil studio i’ve been stuck in all day.”
Camila's snapchat story pic.twitter.com/BxcE2iMtWm
— 5HonTour (@5HonTour) July 5, 2016
5. Rumours have long been circulating about the fact that Fifth Harmony was/is, um, dysfunctional. Hollywood Life talked about the group’s tension back in September 2015, after Cabello reportedly told Latina magazine that a split was pretty much inevitable. Cabello said: “Honestly, I think we all do [think it will end one day]…We’d be lying if we all said this is a picture-perfect thing, like we all completely agreed on the album track list and what the sound and the music-video treatment would be like, which usually happens in bands who grew up together. But for manufactured bands, it’s harder.” Ouch?
Here’s how some fans are reacting:
Okay but Camila leaving Fifth Harmony will never be as iconic as when Zayn zayned
— A (@itsdarcygrey) December 19, 2016
imagine fifth harmony and camila being nominated for the same award…. #FifthHarmony pic.twitter.com/iF0kJ3ibPF
— billy // exams (@benzosexuaI) December 19, 2016
the reason why camila left fifth harmony ?? pic.twitter.com/yl6NHMLGiD
— sunandmoon (@gzelml) December 19, 2016
Camila left Fifth Harmony because she wants to work from home
— Matthew Kick (@MatthewKick) December 19, 2016
"We are four strong, committed women who will continue with Fifth Harmony as well as our solo endeavors" pic.twitter.com/2WJP1enuPT
— Gabriella (@writeforlauren) December 19, 2016