We spoke to model Andreja Pejic about her style icons, hangover cures and more
Andreja Pejic has been on our radar for some time, but never more so than right now. About three months ago, the stunning model was signed on as the face of Make Up For Ever, and thus became one of the first transgender models to land a major beauty campaign. Pejic was scouted six years ago and for the first few years of her career, walked the runways as an androgynous model in both men’s and women’s shows. In 2014, Pejic underwent sex reassignment surgery and only a year later, has landed this stunning campaign.
“In the modeling industry, landing a makeup campaign contract is the equivalent of winning an Oscar in the film industry,” says Pejic. “I’m incredibly honoured to be the first openly transgender female model to land a cosmetics contract, and I commend Make Up For Ever for taking this historical step with me. [The campaign] is really pushing social boundaries in a positive way. Not only does this campaign represent a social change, but it is also helping millions of kids around the world who are struggling with gender, sexuality, or insecurities of feeling different and out of place.”
We spoke to the model about everything from industry advice to hangover cures. Read our chat with Andreja Pejic below.
1. Who are your style icons?
Sharon Stone, Michelle Pfeiffer, Brooke Sheilds and Sophia Loren.
2. What’s the best advice you’ve received from another model?
The less you care, the happier you will be.
3. What’s your desert island beauty product
Make Up For Ever’s “(Nudes You Need) Artist Palette.” Because what else do you need on a desert island but a killer smoky eye?
4. What music do you listen to while getting ready for a night out?
Definitely EDM to get myself pumped. I love Disclosure’s album, Settle. I’m [also] going to give you a SoundCloud playlist to check out: Nu Disco/Indie Dance Set by Ahmet Kilic.
5. What’s your ultimate hangover cure?
Sweating! Going for a jog works wonders, but the sauna is great too.
6. Which celebrity always kills it on the red carpet?
My girl Rita Ora.
7. When was the last time you were starstruck?
When I met Damon Baker.
8. What’s your signature scent?
Thierry Mugler “Womanity.”
9. You were scouted at a McDonald’s so we have to ask, what’s your go-to order?
A Big Mac.
10. What beauty advice would you give your teenage self?
Express yourself. And read more fashion magazines!