Who’s the Bollywood Actress On US Vogue’s April Cover? (It’s Not Priyanka Chopra)
Deepika Padukone appears on the cover of the magazine's Global Talent issue alongside Scarlett Johansson and Doona Bae.
Deepika Padukone is a household name in her native India but unless you caught 2017’s XxX: The Return of Xander Cage you may not know much about her. Here are five quick facts about the statuesque 33-year-old actress with over 30 million Instagram followers who just landed her first American Vogue cover.
1. Her co-star in XxX, Vin Diesel, wrote her a glowing essay for the TIME 100 Most Influential People list last year, declaring: “Deepika is the best Earth has to offer. She’s not just here to represent India; she’s here to represent the world.”
2. You may have spotted her at the 2017 Met Gala, or in the pages of Vanity Fair or InStyle. She also recently unveiled her wax statue at Madame Tussauds in London. “When this opportunity came my way and they decided to honour me, I questioned the purpose as to what I was doing here and what was my contribution towards society,” she said to Hindustan Times. “The voice inside me said that I would like it to be a Statue of Purpose. So hopefully when people come here to see the attraction and when they see my figure there, they’ll be reminded of someone who had some sort of impact on society.”
3. Since her first Bollywood release in 2007, she’s starred in over 20 films, some of which are India’s highest grossing films of all time. In 2016, she landed on Forbes’ list of the highest paid actresses in the world, joining the ranks of A-listers like Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams. (She was the only Bollywood actress on the list.) Padukone is currently the highest-paid actress in India.
4. In a country that’s still highly reticent about mental health issues, Padukone received praise for speaking out publicly about her own battle with depression. She founded the Live Laugh Love Foundation in 2015 to spread awareness about mental health issues and provide professional support to those suffering from various mental illnesses.
View this post on Instagram
Founder and Trustee @deepikapadukone discusses #mentalhealth and #depression at the @worldeconomicforum India Summit with Dr. Murali Doraiswamy and @barkha.dutt #TogetherAgainstDepression #TLLLF #YouAreNotAlone #mentalhealthmatters #mentalhealthawareness #worldeconomicforum #India
5. She’s one half of one of Bollywood’s most buzzed about couples. You may have spotted her beau Ranveer Singh at the Pharrell x Adidas Holi party (he’s one of the brand’s Indian ambassadors). They began dating in 2013, have starred in four films together, and finally tied the knot in an intimate ceremony at Lake Como in 2018.