The hottest celeb trainer we’ve ever seen (and his top 4 workout moves)
He’s sweet, charming, gorgeous and hangs with some of the most beautiful models in the world. No, I’m not talking about Leo DiCaprio; I’m talking about “it” celebrity trainer Christopher Kadima. You may not know his name—that is, unless you’re one of his 23K Insta followers—but you’ve definitely seen his work on the runways, in music videos and inside the pages of the Victoria’s Secret catalogue. His impressive collection of magazine-worthy posts includes regular appearances by the new face of VS Pink, Daniela Lopez, Justin Bieber’s “What Do You Mean” video vixen Xenia Deli and plus-goddess Ashley Graham, who all credit him for their fit bods.
As for his own physique, Kadima has a career as a European basketball player to thank for that. After hanging up his pro-ball jersey, he moved in 2013 from his hometown in France to New York, where he began his personal training empire. So, just how did he become the ultimate fitness destination for the modelling industry in such a short period of time? Well, it doesn’t hurt that he regularly sees these ladies at fashion gigs. He, too, is a working model (obvi). It was during a swimwear shoot in Miami a few years back where all his passions collided. “Some of the models that I was in contact with asked me if I could give them some tips on how to train,” he says. “The idea grew from there. I thought that it could be cool to combine my former career as a pro athlete with my new career in the modelling and entertainment industry.”
Among the hundreds of fitspirational pics on his social media feed, you’ll be hard-pressed to find anyone performing typically boring exercises. From boxing to basketball, and suspension training to calisthenics, as Kadima explains, his regimens are anything but basic. “I think that diversifying the types of training is a good way to keep the workouts fun and entertaining. It also challenges the body and muscles to adapt to different kind of movements and exercises.”
His A-list roster includes models and clients of all shapes and forms. “I’m really happy to see plus-size models finally start to get more opportunities in the industry. I think that it gives a more realistic representation of today’s demographics,” he says. “Now millions of women who were under the impression that in order to be beautiful you had to be a size zero can look up to someone like Ashley Graham or Iskra Lawrence and say it’s OK, I’m beautiful no matter what.” (You had me at hello, Chris.)
As for helping everyone achieve their best body, he reiterates the weight loss cliché we’ve all heard time and again: “About 80 per cent of staying in shape happens in the kitchen with good eating habits. The other 20 per cent left is exercising.” One of his favourite cardio routines is to put on the boxing gloves with his clients.
While chances are few of us will have a chance to train with the fitness stud IRL, here are a few of his favourite moves we can do at home.
Side crunches: Lying on your side with one arm on your hip and the other on the floor, raise both legs up (into a V position) and down. Do 15 on each side.
Superman plank: In push-up position, slowly raise left arm and right leg off the ground and hold for 2 seconds. Bring back to neutral and repeat on other side. Remember to control both the up and the down motions. Perform 10 reps total, slowly.
Jump lunges: In lunge position, jump both feet off the ground at the same time switching the lunge stance in the air and landing with the other food forward. Repeat at a brisk pace for 20 reps total.
Squat and side kick: With feet hip distance apart, perform a squat. As you stand up take left foot and kick to the side. For the kick, remember to keep your foot flexed and try to get leg to hip height. Kicks should be explosive. Alternate legs for 20 reps total.