Marc Cain Fall 2017: 5 Fall Styling Tips We’re Stealing from the Show
When the prettiest, pale pink invitation arrived at my hotel room in Berlin, I had a feeling Marc Cain’s fall collection would be peppered with the hue-du-jour. What I didn’t expect was all the ways that a dancer’s wardrobe would be worked into the show. A canopy of tutus and pointe shoes hung from the runway’s rafters and a troupe of ballerinas pirouetted their way onto the runway before the first model made her debut. Details like ribbon-laced flats, full tulle skirts, athletic-looking leg-warmers and a gym bag slung across one shoulder hinted at design inspiration pulled from the life of a performer. But beautiful ballet pieces weren’t the only message in Marc Cain’s massive collection. Layered leopard prints, sharp tailored suiting, statement outerwear and glam punk vibes rounded out the collection.
“It’s feminine but also a little masculine at the same time: a contrast I really like. And all the pieces are perfect for combining”, said actress Kate Bosworth who was sitting front row in a sequined dress and hair piled high into a blonde bun.
The true highlight of the show was the styling. For a collection that counts hundreds of pieces, whittling it down to the most memorable, fashion forward looks is no easy task. The collection included tons of inspo to incorporate into our fall wardrobes.
Here are our top 5 styling tips gleaned right from the runway:
1. Treat leopard print like a neutral. Try it with brights (like yellow) or even as a full suit.
2. Wear your logo tee to cocktails. Paired with a tuxedo jacket, tulle skirt and high heels, this daytime staple looks right at home with a martini in-hand.
3. The stirrup pant is back. Knock the 80s out of them by styling them like a legging peeking out from under a pleated skirt.
4. Mix your textures. Faux fur, sequins and athletic cottons give off an effortless ease when paired together.
5. Slip a leather jacket over everything. It tones down the sweetness of a full skirt and pearls.
See all of the best looks from the show in the gallery below.