How to Get Holographic Hair at Home
The eye-catching style may look complicated but you can DIY with these simple step-by-step instructions.
FASHION X L'Oréal Paris
Holographic hair is the hottest trend in hair for 2020. The futuristic look is defined by multidimensional hues with a metallic sheen. It may look complicated but it’s a look that can be nailed right from the comfort of your own bathroom. The main thing to consider is your base colour, and how committed you are to your new look. For example, brunettes wanting to go a lighter shade of pink (such as Opale in the Preference range) will need to bleach their hair beforehand to ensure maximum colour pay-off. Medium-to-light brunettes can opt instead for Feria Purple Amethis for an immediate result, or if commitment isn’t your thing, Colorista allows you to trial a colour for one day and works on both light and dark bases.
Read on for step-by-step instructions on how to get the look based on your natural hair colour.
Preference (for light blonde to bleached hair):
1. Before you colour: do a strand test to preview your colour results.
2. Get ready: be sure your hair is dry, put on the colourist gloves. Snap off the tip of the Colour Optimizing Crème. Remove cap from bottle. Pour the entire contents of Colour Gel bottle into Colour Optimizing Crème and replace applicator cap securely. Place your gloved finger over open tip, point away from your face and shake until the mixture is totally blended.
3. Apply: immediately after mixing, apply colour from the bottle onto dry, unwashed hair. For hair with resistant grey, apply to grey areas first. Work gently through hair as you would a shampoo. Use all of the mixture to saturate the hair, then loosely pile you hair on top of your head.
4. Timing: let develop for 25 minutes. For grey hair: leave on for additional 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Rinse out: When time is up, add a small amount of warm water to hair and work into a lather then rinse until water runs clear.
6. Condition and recondition weekly: Apply the Care Supreme Colour & Shine Conditioner to thoroughly saturate your hair. Leave on for 2 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Keep the Care Supreme Colour & Shine Conditioner and use once a week after shampoo.
Feria (for light to medium brunette):
1. Before you colour, do a strand test to preview your colour results.
2. Get ready: be sure your hair is dry, put on the colourist gloves. Snap off the tip of the shimmering conditioning Developer Crème bottle. Remove applicator cap from bottle. Pour the entire contents of the shimmering conditioning colour gel bottle and the aromatic shimmer serum into the shimmering conditioning developer crème applicator bottle. Replace applicator cap securely on shimmering conditioning developer crème bottle. Place your gloved finger over open tip, point away from your face and shake until the mixture is totally blended.
3. Colour up: immediately after mixing, apply colour from the bottle onto dry, unwashed hair beginning in the front. Work colour mixture gently through hair, starting at the root area until completely saturated and then work through the mid-lengths and ends until completely saturated.
4. Time it: let develop for 25 minutes.
5. Rinse out: keeping gloves on, add a little warm water to hair and gently work into a lather. Rinse thoroughly until water runs clear.
6. Deep condition, shimmer and shine: Apply the Power Shimmer conditioner to hair. Work through and let penetrate for 2 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water until water runs clear.
7. Re-Condition: keep Power Shimmer Conditioner and re-use next time you wash your hair to keep hair silky and shimmering.
Colorista (for blonde to dark brunette):
1. Place towel around shoulders to protect clothing.
2. With your fingertips, apply a dime-sized amount onto a think, dry strands of hair. No gloves needed.
3. Brush or comb hair to distribute Colorista Hair Makeup.
4. Air dry or blow dry hair. Style as desired.
When it comes to maintaining holographic hair, use L’Oréal Paris Colour Radiance shampoo and conditioner to preserve the colour (though don’t shampoo your hair in the 24 hours after colouring so as to ensure no pigment is removed) and touch up your roots every four to six weeks. When it comes to styling your new locks, reach for L’Oréal Paris Stylista The Blowdry Cream to help protect hair from heat.
Styling by ELIZA GROSSMAN. Creative direction by GEORGE ANTONOPOULOS. Photography by SANDRO ALTAMIRANO. Videography by BEN REYES. Makeup by JODI URICHUK. Hair by VICTORIA HUNTER.