Everything to Know About the Massive Indian Wedding Beyoncé Just Performed At
When your engagement party is a destination celebration in Lake Como with a performance by John Legend, you’re setting the stakes pretty high for your actual wedding. The Ambanis, though, are up to the challenge. This past weekend, the pre-wedding festivities for Isha Ambani, daughter of Mukesh Ambani, the richest man in India, kicked off in Udaipur, Rajasthan. Here’s everything you need to know about the Ambani family and what is shaping up to be the wedding of the year.
1. Mukesh Ambani, founder and chairman of Reliance Industries, which owns businesses across India spanning the oil and gas, petrochemicals, telecommunications and retail industries, is worth about $43 billion. Not only is he the richest man in India, he also recently surpassed Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, to become the richest man in Asia.
2. His 27-year-old daughter, Isha, is a Yale and Stanford grad who now serves on the board of directors of Reliance Retail and Reliance Jio (the telecom arm of the business). She appeared on Forbes’ list of Young Billionaire Heiresses back in 2008 and even scored an invite to the Met Gala last year. The businesswoman is marrying into another billionaire family—the Piramals, whose business dealings span pharmaceuticals, real estate and financial services.
View this post on Instagram
Multiple events have been lined up for Isha Ambani's pre-wedding festivities, including the Swadesh Bazar, an initiative of Reliance Foundation, celebrating 108 traditional crafts of India. Spotted at the Bazar is the bride-to-be, with mother Nita Ambani, and Hillary Clinton.
3. High-profile guests at the wedding include Hillary Clinton, Arianna Huffington, newlyweds Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas, and a slew of Bollywood superstars, including Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan and Deepika Padukone. The person everyone was most excited to see though? Queen B. That’s right—Beyoncé performed at the Sangeet, a night of musical performances and dances that precedes the main wedding ceremony. Performing a few of her greatest hits, including ‘Naughty Girl’ and ‘Crazy in Love,’ Bey donned three different outfits by Indian designers—Abu Jani Sandeep Khosla, Falguni Shane Peacock, and Shivan & Narresh.
— Filmfare (@filmfare) December 10, 2018
4. The Ambanis don’t do anything low-key, which is why everything about this wedding—from the location to the guests to the special effects—is pretty extravagant. Each wedding invite reportedly cost $4000 to create, and included gold-plated keepsake boxes. The pre-wedding festivities took place over the course of the weekend at the Oberoi Udaivilas, one of the most luxurious properties in India, spanning 50 acres. According to CNN, a custom app was created for the wedding, which guests could download to help stay abreast of the schedule, which included several different events and rituals.
— SANJAY BAFNA (@sanjaybafna) December 9, 2018
5. The actual wedding, though, doesn’t take place until later this week at the Ambanis’ $2 billion residence in Mumbai. Their home, known as Antilia, spans 27 floors and is the second-most expensive home in the world, after Buckingham Palace. The 400,000-square-foot building contains a temple, a spa, a salon, a movie theatre and several swimming pools. There are also six floors dedicated to house the family’s cars as well as those of guests, plus three helicopter pads, all of which we suspect will get some use as the high-profile wedding finally takes place this week.