MFW Diary: Our top 5 from day one in Milan, including Gucci, Alberta Feretti, and more
With Milan Fashion Week just kicking off, here are my top five obsessions of day one:
1. Gucci‘s opulent romanticism: Judging from the miles of velvet and silk, iridescent feathered frocks, croc saddlebags, leather capes, uniform-inspired dress coats, and innovative fabric mixes (mink inlaid on chiffon, anyone?), Gucci’s Fall 2012 collection begs for a crisp night and a brilliant moon.
2. Brian Atwood: We love the man and the shoes. I popped into Atwood’s showroom to preview his new Fall 2012 collection, which includes his first full line of handbags. Editors and buyers were asked not to tweet, so you’ll have to use your imagination: over-the-knee lace-up leopard-print boots, giraffe and Dalmatian patterns, blue fringed cross-body bags, multi-coloured python clutches with metal rivets, and plush minaudieres. One word: WANT.
3. Alberta Ferretti‘s waistland: Next season, the belt will be a girl’s best friend. Whether you choose Ferretti’s pinstriped mannish coats or one of her cooler-than-cool collarless leather coats, fall is all about emphasizing you waist.
4. The Excelsior department store: Milan’s newest department store has the fashion flock buzzing. Think super curated (very Colette!) with an uber-chic design aesthetic—pod-shaped glass elevators will whisk you up to visit lust-worthy friends like Dries Van Noten, Marni, and Jonathan Saunders.
5. My Prada ticket for tomorrow’s show. What does Mrs. Prada have in store for us this season?