New Year’s Eve makeup: 5 Beauty Panel looks that will make you shine while ringing in 2014
Alright gals! When it comes to New Year’s Eve, there’s no excuse to not go all out with your hair, makeup and of course, outfit. Even if you’re prone to spending a low-key NYE at home, there’s still something to be said about saying goodbye to 2013 with a bang. So: dig deep into your makeup bags, pull out all the products you skip over on a daily basis and plan a beauty look that’ll make you pop. Because there’s no such thing as too bright or too glittery on New Year’s Eve.
If New Year’s Eve makeup inspiration is what you’re after, the Beauty Panel is here to help. A Pop of Colour’s Shayna Wiwierski loves to go all out on New Year’s Eve, but this year swapped her usual shimmering smoky eye for an icy-blue shade. However, she’s still going to sparkle when the clock strikes twelve thanks to a bejeweled headband. Also adding interest to her hair with glittery headwear is Alison Leong from Alison*Elle. Her makeup continued the shimmering theme, thanks to a glitter-packed eyeliner and dewy highlighter. And finally, Twenty York Street’s Marilou Moles loves to go all out on NYE and will be ringing in 2014 with bouncy curls, a smoky eye and a bold lip. Happy New Year, indeed!
Challenge 42: What are you doing with your hair and makeup on New Year’s Eve? See the answers now! »
Have a beauty question you want to see the panel answer? Send it our way at email@example.com. Read on for the answers to this week’s challenge and for more goodness, get to know all contributors on our Beauty Panel hub page.
Durham | Spiced Beauty
This year I’m going with a low key and easy look for New Year’s. I’m going to skip the party and do something outdoors like a concert or ice skating.
I need products that are going to last! To bring in 2014 why not try a dark lip? One of my absolute favourite lipsticks right now is from Maybelline. Their Superstay 14 Hour lipstick is creamy, pigment and never creases! The colour I’m wearing is “Wine and Forever.” Long lasting lipsticks give you the option to drink hot cocoa and avoid retouching your lipstick. As for my eyes, in the inner corner I always go for something gold that pops in pictures.
Products used: Maybelline Superstay 14 Hour Lipstick “Wine and Forever,” Mary Kay Kohl Eyeliner in “Golden Illusion” and L’Oréal Butterfly Mascara in
Toronto | Product Wars
New Year’s Eve is quickly approaching and I was a bit indecisive about what type of look I wanted to do this year. My default is usually a smoky eye, so this time I decided to take a different approach. The main focus of this look was the NYC Sparkle Eye Dust. I absolutely love this product when used wet as there is an incredible amount of pigmentation and shine.
1. My skin has been super dry later with the winter. Since I have really sensitive skin, I turn to Spectro Dry Skin Therapy as my moisturizer to keep my skin hydrated.
2. Prep the face with NYC Smooth Skin Perfecting Primer to ensure that the makeup will last all night long.
3. Apply NYC Smooth Skin Mousse Foundation over areas that require coverage. You can easily build on this foundation, so it can double up as your concealer without feeling heavy. Also, you don’t need to worry about flashback as this foundation doesn’t contain SPF. So go ahead…take photos all night long!
4. Use the two brown shades from the NYC Sun ‘n’ Bronze Bronzing Powder & e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Blush Brush to contour the face by applying it on the hollows of the cheek and up to your temple area. Then use the same brush to apply the light shade from the same powder on the high points of the cheek and down the nose bridge.
5. Apply the top shade in the NYC HD Color Trio Eye Shadow with an e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Eyeshadow “C” Brush all over the lid. Then using the e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Blending Eye Brush and the bottom shade in the Trio and apply it along the outer corner and crease.
6. Draw a thin winged liner with the NYC Liquid Eyeliner. I suck at doing winged liner, but for some reason, the brush is really easy to control and apply very thinly. Also, I love how it is Pearlized Black, so it adds dimension compared your traditional flat black liner.
7. Using the e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Small Angled Brush, mix the NYC Sparkle Eye Dust in Brilliant Sapphire with a few drops of water and trace above the black winged liner. Wipe off any excess product on the brush. Then mix Opal Sparkle with a few drops of water and apply to the inner tear ducts and lower lashline. This will give an illusion of bigger eyes.
8. Make your lips look kissable by applying NYC Liquid Lipshine all over. This lipgloss, glistens, moisturizes, and is long lasting without feeling tacky.
9. Curl your lashes and apply your favourite waterproof mascara. In case something “legendary” happens and you cry, use waterproof mascara to prevent any black tears dripping down your face.
10. Use a brow pencil to fill in any sparse areas.
Products used: Spectro Dry Skin Therapy, NYC Smooth Skin Perfecting Primer, NYC Smooth Skin Mousse Foundation, NYC Sun ‘n’ Bronze Bronzing Powder, , NYC HD Color Trio Eyeshadow, NYC Liquid Eyeliner, NYC Sparkle Eye Dust in “Brilliant Sapphire” and “Opal Sparkle,” NYC Liquid Lipshine, e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Blush Brush, e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Eyeshadow “C” Brush, e.l.f. Cosmetics Essential Blending Eye Brush, e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Small Angled Brush
Vancouver | Alison*Elle
NYE is the perfect time for a bit of glitz and glamour! Since I’ll be up late ringing in the new year, I started with a good primer (both face and eyes) to ensure that my makeup lasts through the night. Next, I amped up my eyes with some shimmery eyeshadows and lined my bottom lashes with a glittery silver. An illuminating powder gave my skin a nice glow and I finished up with an easy-to-wear natural red lip.
Products used: Lise Watier Luminous Correcting Primer in “Rose Lilas,” Laura Mercier Mineral Powder in “Natural Beige,” Lise Watier Jardin de Givre Illuminating Powder, Marcelle Quad Blush in “Ultimate Pinks,” Urban Decay Primer Potion, Lise Watier Palette Jardin de Givre, Lise Watier Dramatique Intense 3D Volume Mascara, M.A.C Veluxe Brow Liner in “Deep Brunette,” Lise Watier Rouge Sublime Lumiere Lipstick in “Rouge Satin”
Winnipeg | A Pop of Colour
When it comes to New Years Eve makeup, more is always more! This is one of the few nights of the year when you can go full-out glam and not feel like you are overdoing it. Why not ring in 2014 looking your best?
I always go for a smoky eye for New Year’s Eve because I just find the look so glamorous and perfect for when the clock strikes midnight. For once, I chose to not add some glitter (shocker!), and went with an icy-blue eye look, muting out the rest of my face to draw the most attention to the eyes. For the hair, I kept it sleek and simple to not take away from the eyes, but since I don’t believe in boring, I popped on a jewelled headband to glitz up the look. Happy Near Year!
Products used: Tarte Amazonian Clay Eyeshadows in “Bianca’s Coloring Book,” “Anna’s Tea Set,” “Daniel’s Teddy Bear” and “Tom’s Stuffed Tiger” (all from the Tarte of Giving holiday set), Lancôme Art Liner in “Noir,” Cover Girl Lash Blast Clump Crusher mascara, Katy Perry lashes by Eylure in “Cool Kitty,” Cover Girl Flamed Out Shadow Pencil in “Crystal Flame,” Cover Girl Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation in “820,” IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye in “Light,” Make Up For Ever Pro Finish powder in “Pink Ivory,” IT Cosmetics Your Hair But Better Brow Power Perfector in “Universal Taupe,” Tarte Mineral Powder Bronzer in “Park Avenue Princess,” Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in “Darling” and “Dollface,” YSL Rouge Volupte in “Pink Lingerie,” Benefit High Beam and IT Cosmetics Hello Light Illuminizer
Ottawa | Twenty York Street
A New Year’s Eve party is one event that I absolutely look forward to. It’s like a highlight to the year gone by and therefore, a cause for great celebration!
Aside from a rocking a NYE-ready outfit, this is the time when I go all out with my hair and makeup. Gone is my usual pin straight hair and in are romantic curls.
Makeup calls for drama so I say more is more with a smoky eye makeup, black liner, lots of mascara paired with a bold lip!
Products used: Rowenta Beauty Curl Active, Revlon Quad Shadow in Impressionist, L’Oréal Butterfly Mascara and Maybelline Vivids in “Fuchsia Blast”